With the storm passed, the party and followers venture out of their warm, tree-growth shelter to find about a foot of snow on their mountain slope. They decide no to split up, but follow Doane’s sense of direction back the way they were carried to retrieve their cart and regain the road. They are:
- Doane Six (ByW): Level 3 Nekolyn Monk
- Lamila (BiW): Level 3 Half-Orc, Half-Elf Fighter
- Benquil: Level 2 Spider Monkey Animal Companion
- Lucifer “Lucy” Underfoot (RiH): Level 3 Halfling Bard
- Gelda Roughsole: Level 2 Halfling Thief Follower
- Eymen Hunyadi: Level 1 Drow Padfoot Follower
- Rav Lugulu: Level 1 Goblin Chemist Follower
- Hilderek Ferlwinkle: Level 1 Gnome Tinker Follower
On their way, they are attacked by a yeti, which suprises them, attacking Lamila from behind. The battle is short, with their barrages of ranged weapons benefiting from Lucy’s powerful Battle Song. They decide to leave the creature alive, Lucy tending to its wounds and Doane binding it with nature formed bonds known to last an hour. Lamila leaves it a deer for when it awakes and they continue on, camping after a two hour lead.
In a few more days, they arrive at the road again and Doane recognizes where they are. They soon arrive back at their cart, robbed of provisions and equipment and dumped in a ditch. With the cart in tow, they continue toward Calrendink, but on the way see a building that Doane knows wasn’t there when last they passed through less than a month before.
The building is hosting a wedding and they all attend, curious about this building’s appearance on a quiet strip of road. Hilderek and Lucy, the only two who speak gnomish, quickly recognize that most of the speech they are hearing is gnomish-sounding nonsense interspersed with gnomish words of little meaning without context. Even the wedding ceremony is gibberish and when it is over, Lucy attempts to investigate, receiving only matter-of-fact gibberish in response to his questions. Resigned, he starts to play for Lamila and Doane, the only two dancing.
Soon, though, a gnome enters, still speaking gibberish, but clearly distressed and recognizably crying “help! help!” in gnomish. The party steps outside to see what the problem is and see a band of Cerada approaching the back of the building. The battle that follows is chaotic:
- Doane uses his revolvers to good effect from atop the building
- Hilbrent advises not letting the leader get close
- The leader (a shaman) blows Lucy and three of his followers over with a thunderous roar
- Several Cerada, panicked from the incoming revolver rounds, start trying to knock the building down
- Outnumbered, Lamila resorts to magic with an explosion of death
- Doane downs the shaman with a well placed shot
- The remaining Cerada flee under fire
The gnomes thank them profusely, at least, they say “thank you” frequently in the midst of their gibberish.
Still confounded, the party moves along to put some distance between themselves and the wedding building before magic ban enforcers arrive looking for Lamila. In a couple days, they arrive at Calrendink, ready to head East toward the coast.
When ByW said he wanted to come upon a building that hadn’t been there before with a wedding going on, I gladly made them shape-shifters pretending to be gnomes so they could gain protection from other magical creatures like the Cerada. It turned out fun.